Elsa Santos is a Spanish artist born in 1971 in Seville. She grew up with art all around her. In Andalucia, her grandfather and father are very well-known sculptors with important works in many public squares, churches and private collections. Her mother is also a practicing artist.
Elsa trained in the very traditional Faculty of Fine Arts in Seville where her father was a Professor in Sculpture. She specialized in painting.
Upon finishing her degree she moved to London for 10 years working in film and television industry as a digital artist creating matte paintings and textures for the Soho visual effects facility Framestore. Her work can be seen in feature films such as Harry Potter, Troy and the Walking With series.
In 2006 Elsa left the UK and moved to Asia where she took up the role of Art Director for two years on Singapore’s first animated feature film, Sing to the Dawn.
In 2008 Elsa settled in Sydney with her husband Matthew and welcomed her daughter Ella into the world. During these early years of motherhood she returned to her traditional arts practice, exploring techniques from her days at University. In 2012 she became an Australian citizen.
Elsa is a gifted drafts-woman and a fine practitioner of traditional techniques, learned in Spain from her family and Faculty. She prepares her own materials and explores the fascinating chemistry of pigments and medium.
Elsa’s favorite way of expression is drawing; through recent years she has developed a technique that allows her to create very precise lines on the surface layer of the painting using an etching needle. Often layer upon layer.
Her main source of inspiration is nature itself, mysterious and organic shapes that seem unplanned but yet so perfect and beautifully fit together. These observations have become visual themes in her image making.
Dreaming and trusting the unconscious mind to wander and explore – as a process, connects her research, images and themes. Much like a musician there is a liberty grounded in improvisation within her practice. A work is often an unknowable journey as it is unclear how things will be revealed when she begins, but the end comes sharply into focus as it draws near.
Elsa has some of her work in private collections in Australia, London and Spain and has participated in a number of exhibitions in these countries.
Studied Fine Arts in the University of Seville, Spain, from 1990 to 1995, specializing in Painting.
In 1995 was awarded a government scholarship, she went to Athens, Greece to continue her studies of Painting, studying mainly the landscape.
-“The Portrait in Its Practice. Studio Through a Video-digital Process”. Seville, Spain.
-“Printmaking and Lithography”. Seville, Spain.
-“Introduction to the Video Technology”. University of Seville.
-“20TH Summer Course on Folk Art”. Zalaegerszeg, Hungary.
– For Art’s Sake. Design Centre, Enmore, Sydney 2017.
– The Greenway Art prize exhibition 2016. Finalist. Sydney
– Birds + Us (group). Claire Layman Gallery, 4/640 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne. 2016
– Annual Group Exhibition (group). The Shop Gallery. 2016.
– The Nature of Things (solo), The Shop Gallery, Sydney. 2015.
– All Women Art Exhibition. Light Space and Time Online Art Gallery. Florida, USA. 2015.
– 40×40 Art Prize exhibition (group). Brunswick Street Gallery, Fitzroy. 2014.
– The Greenway Art prize exhibition 2014 (group), Sydney.
– “The Art of Love”. Arndean Gallery, Cork Street (group), London, UK. 2004.
– Autumn Exhibition (group). Seville, Spain. 1997.
– The Royal Academy of Arts, Autumn Exhibition (group). Sevilla, Spain. 1997.
– “Young Expression” (group). Jerez de la Frontera, Cadiz, Spain. 1996/1997.
– “Young Artist from Jerez” (solo), Cadiz, Spain. 1996.
– The Royal Academy of Arts, Autumn Exhibition (group). Seville, Spain.1996.
– “Selected Works for the 1997 poster of the Carnival” (group), Cadiz, Spain. 1996.
– “Young Artists Pro-Bosnia”. Antares Club (group). Sevilla, Spain. 1996.
– V National Drawing Award, (group), Madrid, Spain. 1995.
– The Royal Academy of Arts, Autumn Exhibition (group). Cadiz, Spain. 1995.
– The Royal Academy of Arts, Autumn Exhibition (group). Cadiz, Spain. 1993.
– The Royal Academy of Arts, Autumn Exhibition (group). Seville, Spain. 1992.
– “Terracota” (group). Fine Arts School, Seville, Spain. 1992.
– Balmain Art Fair, Balmain, Sydney. 2015.
– Glebe Art Fair, Glebe, Sydney. 2015.
– Islington Art Fair. Torrents Street, London, UK. 2004.
symbolism, surrealism art, nature
11 days ago
21 days ago
4 days ago
17 days ago
3 days ago
12 hours ago
5 days ago
21 days ago
20 days ago
16 days ago
3 days ago
16 days ago