I graduated from R.M.I.T. with the Diploma of Illustration, and worked in children’s book illustration for many years. I have had a passionate interest in portraits and the figure since childhood, and work in a number of mediums, including pastel, charcoal and conte, pen and ink, gouache, watercolour, acrylics, pencil, photography, mixed media, and currently, oils. I convene painting and life-drawing groups at Brighton Art Society, and have tutored in portrait drawing. I have studied oil painting with Peter Churcher, Lee Machelak, and Maxwell Wilkes, and drawing with Harold Freedman, Geoff Dupree and Godwin Bradbeer.
‘I developed a love of drawing as a child, when I first drew my ageing auntie in the bath. I have always been fascinated by people, their character and the individuality of their faces, which has led to my passionate interest in portraits and figurative work. My nudes are real individuals, not generic or idealized. I endeavour to capture the essence of a person and their own unique qualities.
I am always inspired by the drama of light, and the way it shapes and changes objects, enhances composition, and creates mood.
My work, including commissioned portraits and nudes, is represented in many private collections, both Australian and International, and has won many awards, including
• Winner of the Canterbury Art Show Small Works Competition 2013
• ‘Best Nude’, Brighton Art Society Annual Art Exhibition 2013
• ‘Best Drawing’, Sherbrooke Art Society Spring Exhibition 2014
• Winner, ‘Animals in Art 2015’
• Winner, Constance Wu Award, MSWPS Annual Exhibition 2016
• Second Place, Yarram Archies 2017 Portrait Competition
• Highly Commended, Melb. Society Women Painters & Sculptors Annual Exhibition 2017
• Best Drawing, Brighton Art Society Annual Exhibition 2017