Modigliani nude sells for $170.4 million – Who else makes the top 10?
This week Christie’s International sold Amedeo Modigliani’s portrait Nu couché, or “Reclining Nude”, to Chinese collectors Liu Yiqian and his wife, Wang Wei, for a reported $170.4 million, the second-highest price ever paid at auction for a work of art. As the rich increasingly see art as a way to stash their cash, stories of unbelievable price tags are becoming a regular occurrence.
Where do you think Modigliani’s nude will come in the top 10 most expensive paintings of all time? Below is a list of the highest known prices paid for paintings. The sale prices are in US dollars and inflation adjusted.
10. Le Rêve by Pablo Picasso
9. Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I by Gustav Klimt
8. Woman III by Willem de Kooning
7. No. 5, 1948 by Jackson Pollock
6. Nu Couché by Amedeo Modigliani
5. Les Femmes d’Alger (“Version O”) by Pablo Picasso
4. Pendant portraits of Maerten Soolmans and Oopjen Coppit by Rembrandt
3. No. 6 (Violet, Green and Red) by Mark Rothko
2. The Card Players by Paul Cézanne
approx. $272 million (exact price unknown)
1. Nafea Faa Ipoipo (When Will You Marry?) by Paul Gauguin
approx $300 million (exact price unknown)