Terms & Conditions
2018 General Information
Where and when
The MtSV Annual Maritime Art Awards & Exhibition is an international competition hosted at the Mission to Seafarers Victoria in Docklands, Melbourne. The Exhibition will be open for viewing 5th October 2018 to 26th October 2018, 11am to 8pm daily.
The Opening Night of the exhibition will be held on: Thursday 4th October at 6.30pm with invitations to be sent to Award finalists plus one guest.
- $15,000 - ANL 'Maritime Art Award' (Acquisitive)
- $5,000 - ASP 'Best in Traditional Maritime Art Award' (Acquisitive)
- $2,000 - DP World 'Emerging Artist Award' (Acquisitive)
- $2,000 - VIVA Energy ‘People’s Choice Award’
- $2,000 - Nevile & Co ‘Runners up Award’
80 finalists will be selected for exhibition and notified by email on or before the 7th September 2018 and invited to present their work to:
‘The Mission to Seafarers Victoria, 717 Flinders Street, Docklands, VIC 3008’ (Melway Ref 43:E10) between Saturday 8th & Thursday 20th September 2018 only.
Award winning artworks will be featured following the Opening Night online at www.missiontoseafarers.com.au and on the prize online gallery partner website at www.bluethumb.com.au
Judging for the ANL Art Awards will take place September 28th and the winners in each category announced at the official opening. Finalists will receive a formal invitation to attend the Opening of the Maritime Art Award and Exhibition with one guest.
Decisions made by both the selection and judging panels are final and there will be no discussion or correspondence regarding this process.
Judges: to be announced
Advertising & Bluethumb prize online hosting
This year Bluethumb Australia's online art gallery will again be hosting the Mission to Seafarers Art prize, and providing the technology to facilitate prize entry, viewing and sales. Bluethumb was founded in 2009 to support Australia's emerging and established artists by providing the technology (website and apps) for artists to sell their art directly to the nation's art lovers. It is free to join and very easy to use. All prize entrants will require a Bluethumb profile, which can be deleted after the exhibition period should they wish. This will greatly assist MtSV to host, administer and exhibit the 2018 art prize.
The Maritime Art Awards and Exhibition are widely promoted through both print and digital media in an established campaign with extensive reach.
2018 CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Closing date for entries is strictly 5pm AEST on Friday 31th August 2018. Entries are to be submitted digitally directly via Bluethumb's website.*See footnote Artists are required to create and maintain a public artist profile for the duration of the exhibition.
- Incomplete submissions will be ineligible for consideration. Please use the checklist to ensure your application is complete.
- The Entry fee is to be submitted through the Bluethumb website. Entry fee is $45.00 (inc. GST) for each work submitted and is non-refundable.
- Submitted work(s) whether traditional or contemporary, must explore the maritime theme of ‘The Relationship between Humanity and the Sea’ thematically and/or literally. The Artist’s Statement must reflect the connection of the work to the theme.
- The Award is open to artwork for wall hanging artwork only. Mediums may include painting, mixed media, collage or drawing. Photography, printmaking and digital works are excluded. 3D works will not be accepted. Wall pieces may protrude up to 10cm.
- Artists are invited to submit up to two works and both are eligible for selection. Selected works are accepted into the exhibition on the following terms:
- The work is an original work of the artist
- The work has been produced within the past two years and not previously exhibited in the ANL Maritime Art Awards
- Overall dimensions (not total surface area), including framing, do not exceed 140cm high x 140cm wide – this applies to the total work as defined in (d)
- Diptych and Triptych proposals must be accompanied by a clear image of the assembled work and hanging instructions
- The weight of the artwork must not exceed 15kg
- The work is for sale and a 33% commission will be deducted from the sale price as listed on Bluethumb
- The sale price listed on Bluethumb will include an additional estimated shipping cost; the artist is responsible for setting the pre-shipping price prior to uploading to Bluethumb
- For artworks sold during the exhibition period, buyers have the option to either; 1) collect the artwork in person at the end of the exhibition period, or 2) have Bluethumb coordinate shipping of the artwork to the buyer on their behalf and at no additional cost
- Commission will also apply to the sale of any works that are purchased within 60 days of the end of the 2018 Exhibition
- Artists will be paid for any sold artwork within 30 days following full payment by the purchaser
- Works framed under Perspex should be clearly marked for cleaning purposes.
- Works must be professionally presented, dry (paint), clearly labeled on the back and ready to hang with secure hardware and hanging wires. Any works that arrive without hanging fixtures will be charged a hanging fee of $25+GST.
- Selected artists give license to the Mission to Seafarers Victoria to reproduce images of their artwork for promotional purposes for the duration of the exhibition and collateral announcements from the time of submission to 30 June 2019 inclusive.
- Due to the individual nature of contractual arrangements between artists and galleries, it is the responsibility of represented artists to advise their gallery that they have entered work in the ANL Maritime Art Awards. Maritime Art Award organisers acknowledge that the gallery consents to the represented artists participating in our Award Exhibition and agrees to abide by the terms for exhibition and sales as specified in the Entry Criteria documented here.
- Artists who receive 1st, 2nd, 3rd or a Highly Commended place in each category give license to the Mission to Seafarers Victoria to reproduce images of their artworks for promoting the ANL Maritime Art Award and collateral announcements from 5th October 2018 to 30th June 2020 inclusive.
- Artists will be credited in all promotional activities where artwork images are reproduced.
- Benefit derived from entering this competition may be revoked should the artist be unable to ensure license to reproduce images of the artwork for publication due to existing copyright conditions with another party.
- Artists’ exhibit at their own risk and will be responsible for the cost of freight each way and insurances whilst in transit and exhibition; works collected after the pickup deadline will incur storage fees.
- All artworks will be repackaged in their original wrappings at the closure of the Exhibition ready to be collected – artists must supply return shipping details (including a return address) with their artwork. It is the responsibility of the artist to ensure works are professionally and securely packaged for transport/delivery and have glass taped and corners protected.
- Neither the Mission to Seafarers Victoria nor its employees or representatives will accept responsibility for any loss or damage, however caused, to any artwork whilst in their custody.
- The Art Award & Exhibition Committee reserves the right to reject any wet, dangerous or delicate works that cannot be safely exhibited, or any work received in a condition unsuitable for presentation.
- Collection of all unsold works at the conclusion of the Exhibition is the responsibility of the artist. Works are to be collected upon the closure of the exhibition from 5pm – 7pm, 26th October, and daily 9am to 8pm until 4th November, 2018.
- An artist’s signed authority is required if an agent of the artist is collecting.
- Artists dispatching works by ‘Pay on Delivery/Freight Collect’ to a nominated return address must contact the Artprize Coordinator prior to the closure of the exhibition to confirm details.
- If works are not collected within three months of collection date, work will be treated at the discretion of the Art Award & Exhibition Committee and/or the Management of The Mission to Seafarers Victoria Inc.
* For those without access to internet we will accept hardcopy applications by post and will upload to Bluethumb on your behalf. Please note this is exception to the rule of online entry. Post to: Mission to Seafarers Victoria, 717 Flinders Street, Docklands, VIC 3008. Hardcopy submissions require payment by Cheque or Money Order payable to the ‘Mission to Seafarers Victoria’ or deposit to our bank account.
Mission to Seafarers Victoria Inc.
Institution: Bendigo Bank,
Account Number: 133814400
Please ensure you include in the description of the transfer "Artprize; your surname and initials so we can match your payment to your application